The empty Narita airport.

In the last minute I decided to change my flight tickets from going to Japan Thursday morning, to go Wednesday afternoon instead. So I had classes from 10 to 12, then I got on a train to Copenhagen airport around 12:30. Arrived at the airport around 3:50 and got checked in and such and then my first flight to Frankfurt took off at 5:50.

In Frankfurt I first had problems with finding my new gate, because I was given wrong information. I finally found my JAL flight to Tokyo and sat down and waited with all the other,… Japanese. I was the only non-Japanese boarding this flight. Normally non-Japanese are limited on JAL flights, but it’s the first time I’ve been the only one. The flight was quite full though. After 10-11 hours we landed in Tokyo. As always I quickly went to the immigration area, where people get divided into people with Japanese passports and people with foreign passports. There was no queue  for me at all, since there was no foreigner in sight at all, which was a first for me. Normally immigration procedures can take quite some time because of all the people lining up, but today it was a breeze and over within minutes. Then it was time to wait for my suitcase, also here only Japanese people was lining up and considering the size of the room, people seemed very limited.

After that I went out to the arrival hall, which was also quite empty, it was easy to see that a lot of people had cancelled their flights to Japan due to the Fukushima nuclear plant and earthquake. I got a bus ticket for Haneda airport and got on the bus. We drove by the other arrival terminal in Narita, also here there was no foreigners in sight. After leaving the airport area, everything looked at it always had. The same amount of cars and people on the streets, nothing seemed changed. In Haneda it was time to check in for my final flight to Miyazaki.

This flight on the other hand was very empty, compared to the other times I’ve taken this flight. Not even half of the flight was filled.

Then I finally arrived at my final destination. It felt a bit weird being back in Japan after all that has happened with the earthquake and still struggling nuclear power plant. I’ve even got several messages from friends and family urging me not to go. On the other hand the Japanese show no worries and also the news gives an relaxed feel about the whole thing. Trying to avoid any kind of panic, compared to the news I’ve heard up until now.



One response

  1. Thanks on creating one of the most stylish blogs I have come across in a long time! It’s truly incredible how much you are able to take away from some thing simply because of how aesthetically gorgeous it is. Youve created a fantastic be site fantastic graphics , structure. site!
    My website is about Healthy recipes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s